[Coco] System gen problem

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 16:31:15 EST 2010

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Robert Gault wrote:

> Steven Hirsch wrote:
>
>> Clearly, I'm down the wrong path here. As a quick reality check:
>> Shouldn't it be possible to generate a Nitros-9 system that (a) boots
>> from a floppy, (b) uses my hard disk as the default drive (dd) and (c)
>> can access the drivewire volume as /x0?
>
> I have been able to use Drivewire from a real Coco3 in two different ways. I
> can access the Drivewire disks on my WinXP PC from Disk Basic and I can boot
> into NitrOS-9 on the Coco3 hard drive system and access OS-9 disks via
> Drivewire.

The latter is what I'm trying to do at the moment.

> You do need to be careful that the /x# descriptors match the image that is
> mounted in Drivewire. The general intent was that these images would be very
> large disks equivalent to hard drives. This would give hard drive access to
> Coco3 users that don't have actual hard drives on the Coco.
> However, if you mount a .dsk or .os9 image in Drivewire, you should adjust
> the descriptors as now you are looking at a 35 track up to 80 track disk
> image.

That could be the issue.

> What type of images are mounted in your Drivewire and do your descriptors
> match the images?

I am trying to access the nos96809l2v030209coco3_dw3.dsk image from
Cloud9's web site.  The descriptors are simply whatever is provided in the
modules/rbf subdirectory of that same image.

How do I go about adjusting the descriptors to match the image or
vice-versa?

Steve