[Coco] C Programming

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 12:40:30 EST 2010

Much like my own technique. (It's how I learned shell, make and Perl).  Find something close to what you're looking for, patch in what you're trying to do, see if it works, then file (hardware style, not version control) off the serial numbers.  Frex, (just realized this a SF fan term, not computer geek word, it means "for example" -- my friend Eric who maintains the Jargon file is in both categories, and when we meet at conventions we usually talk about guns) I first learned shell scripting from the Tandy "/etc/install" in the first release of Tandy Xenix, and never looked back.  (I also stole much of the BASIC code [translating from HP to MS] in my only published article in 80-Micro a couple years previous, which got me my job as an RSCC instructor, else I wouldn't have been exposed to Xenix and OS-9 pre-official-Tandy-release).

So let those I "stole from" sue me.  It takes a couple of decades to bring a plagiarism case to trial in Australia or the US,  If I last another year, I'll outlive the record for anybody with my Y-chromosome (probably happen, I don't dig coal and I smoke maybe a quarter as much as my father did [the current record holder, the VA finally gave up on his liver], and I don't drink near as much as my ancestors always did or I used to [a couple generations back, cirrhosis replaced Black Lung as the usual suspect when a male in my family crapped out]).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd at comcast.net

<home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd>

The Bible says (in Palms 90:10) that "The days of our years are threescore years and ten", yet Xtians frequently defy G-d's will and continue to preach rather than commit suicide on their 70th birthday.  Yeah, the Psalm says you're allowed to live to eighty, but you're going to suffer if you do that, so you might as well just kill yourself.  Suicide is not a sin in the Old Testament, and I can't find the spot in the New Testament that changes the status.  (This blasphemy is an original from me [wdg3rd], the sort of thing I strive for).