[Coco] batch file processing

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 23:49:31 EST 2010

The easiest way I know to ask this is to just say what I want to do. The OS-9 L2 manual does not cover anything like this, so I don't know if the shell allows for it.

I want to use the following as input to cmp:

ls -rienac diska
ls -rienac diskb

This causes ls to produce a listing that contains one item per line. I still have to figure out how to tell the script to skip the directory entries in the listing, and only process what occurs within the directory.

diska and diskb are copies of the contents of different disks that are similar (os9L2_1.os9 and OS9SYSMR.os9). The idea is I want to compare every file that occurs on both disks to see which ones may be different. Since I can boot both disks, and because both are almost identical, there has to be a reason why OS9SYSMR.os9 boots to a black screen (fore, back and border). I think I should be able to find something different between them, other than the files that exist on one, but not the other.

I was hoping I could do something like (not in these words) "using input from ls/diska and ls/diskb, compare each file that occurs on both disks and state the results". By redirecting final output to a file, I can then find any and all differences between the disks. I'm not sure what version of shell I'm running. The ident of the module being loaded in startup (shell) is a merged module file. The shell ident itself shows a size of $1B42 #6978. The shell_21 file in the CMDS shows an ident of $0602 #1538, so it isn't the same shell.

Anyone have ideas?

Wayne