[Coco] assembly language question.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 3 23:14:03 EST 2010

On Wednesday 03 February 2010, Bob Devries wrote:
>The 6809 CMP instruction can be either 8 bit or 16 bit. For 16 bit the
>operation is: (quote)
>
>Compares the 16-bit contents of the concatenated memory locations M:M+1 to
>the contents of the specified register and sets the appropriate condition
>codes. Neither the memory locations nor the specified register is modified
>unless autoincrement or autodecrement are used. The carry flag represents a
>borrow and is set to the inverse of the resulting binary carry.
>
>(/quote)

Page A-33, moto's Silver book.  My copy (May '83 edition) is a slight bit
yellowed after all these years. ;)

That, as the Genesis book for all of this, really could have been written a
wee bit clearer, IMO.

In particular, I detest the RPN style notation used there and it would be a
lot less ambiguous to me had the shorthand been stated algebraic style:

R-[M:M+1] -> CC(NZVC)

The left to right order is the correct order of the occurrence's within the
nemonics operation.

Thanks Bob.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If you can't understand it, it is intuitively obvious.