[Coco] Full GUI DriveWire 4 beta

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 11:43:22 EST 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> I'm honestly not sure this is something that you want to mess with.

I'm beginning to agree with you.  I develop complex design-automation
software for a living (in C++, thankyouverymuch), but Eclipse and Java
just bring me to my knees.  Why, for the love-of-mike does it have to be
so complicated??  I've never seen more controls, modes, widgets and
precisely used (but undefined) terminology in my entire life!

At work, I'm forced to use Lotus Notes for corporate communications and HR
interaction.  Don't take this the wrong way, but Eclipse strikes me as the
Lotus Notes of software development :-).  The Notes motto is:

"Why have one concise way to do things if you can implement a dozen
variations and unintuitive modes to reach the same point?"

> To build the GUI, you will need the SWT libraries, which may or may
> not have been installed when you did whatever you did to install
> Eclipse.  I always just "install" eclipse by downloading the zip file
> from the eclipse website, seems to be as easy as downloading and
> unpacking it wherever, ready to go.  Anyway, the SWT libs can be found
> here: http://www.eclipse.org/swt/ or maybe via your package manager.
>
> Things will go smoother if these libraries are already present when
> the import into eclipse is done.  If you don't have the SWT libs
> already, I'd recommend deleting whatever is currently in Eclipse,
> getting the libs, and doing an import.
>
> To properly import the UI, choose File, Import, General > Existing
> Projects into Workspace, and point it at wherever the "DriveWireUI"
> directory you checked out from cvs is.
>
> You can then right click on the head of the newly created DriveWireUI
> project in Eclipse and choose "Run" to execute it immediately, or
> Export, Java >> Runnable Jar File to create a standalone .jar.

All the libraries are present and I've explictly added everything I
believe it was complaining about to my class paths.  Doesn't make any
difference, it's still carping about missing XML..something.

Grrrrrr.

My hat is off to anyone able to master Eclipse, Java, et al.

Steve