[Coco] LHA question

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 27 17:20:28 EST 2010

On Monday, December 27, 2010 04:36:38 pm Willard Goosey did opine:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:14:24AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > Chuckle. He he.  Since I am the one that last walked around in bru1.2,
> > I don't have to look at its compression ratio, which is about -5% as
> > it has no compression built in or callable and adds a sector per file
> > for housekeeping.
>
> Well, then you know how well it would work... :-)  I used it once, and
> it worked well, but all the disk changing got old.
>
> > However, if we had a really good compressor I could plug into bru with
> > a pipe, the thought is tempting because from hard drive to hard
> > drive, and enough compression to make that 90 megs fit in 40 megs,
>
> Humm.... AFAIK the only OS-9 compressor that might have a filter mode
> is compress.
>
> I've finaly found my method of backing up OS-9 hard disks.  Dsave the
> entire drive to a drivewire virtual disk, gzip -9 the image, and write
> it to CD.  Job done.
>
> Willard

Yeah, but I am using the bit-banger port for printing, which leaves Rogers
bluetooth for a link, if I could find another 10 db of signal to noise
ratio.  Which reminds me, I should go swap the dual 232 pack and Rogers BT
pack and see if getting it out of the slot1 hidden place helps.
BRB.  Did, had to re-pair it and its working with no dropped chars for a
dir -e.  So now I have 2 circuits to the coco, one wired, and one on Rogers
BT pack.  Blueman-manager says the signal isn't great, so I might see about
an alu dish reflector I could aim at the pack, its about 25 feet away,
through the floor and a regular rats nest of cables I have drilled into the
floor joists over the last 21 years.  One of these days I'll probably drill
the hole that breaks this camels back. ;-)

So, in the next day or so, I will see if I can move the printer functions
off the bitbanger, which will free it for drivewire.

Don't mind the smoke, my brain gets overheated when I make it actually
think. I assume I can rebuild a descriptor that couples /p to the /t3
(Rogers BT pack) hardware, just need to find a round tuit & git-r-done.

We're invited up to the neighbors for some ham (good) stuffing (ouch,
sugar) and whatever in a couple of hours, so I need to go see if I can get
my razor started & polish me up a bit.  Tain't Saturday night, but...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)