[Coco] LHA question

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Dec 27 00:14:24 EST 2010

On Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:57:06 pm Willard Goosey did opine:

> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 09:13:21PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > Yup, I tried the equ of -rxp and got a memory overflow. mfree says I
> > have plenty (its a 2 meg machine) but smap says I could be a little
> > crowded: Number of Free Pages:  43
> >
> >   RAM Free in KBytes:  10
>
> Heh, well, I've never tried to lha an entire hard-drive.  Maybe you
> should try bru or one of the other dedicated hard-drive backup tools.
> The compression probably wouldn't be as good, but they'd specifically
> handle the *huge* number of input files.
>
> Willard

Chuckle. He he.  Since I am the one that last walked around in bru1.2, I
don't have to look at its compression ratio, which is about -5% as it has
no compression built in or callable and adds a sector per file for
housekeeping.

The last (and only) time I backed up a hard drive with it, took me about
2.5 evenings of feeding it 765k floppies, and the test recovery was over a
week because it took on average, 35 minutes to read a 765k disk it could
write in around 8 minutes, using an interleave of 8, the default of 3 took
about 15 minutes to write because the disk had to go around 3 times in
between sector writes.

However, if we had a really good compressor I could plug into bru with a
pipe, the thought is tempting because from hard drive to hard drive, and
enough compression to make that 90 megs fit in 40 megs, I wouldn't care how
long it took either way because I wouldn't be super glued to this chair for
days at a time feeding it floppies by the case.  That is terminally boring
as you can well imagine.  Then what I would do is go to the garage and get
a small ups, and put the coco on it so a power glitch wouldn't kill it in
the middle.  That I should do anyway before that battery goes plumb away
sitting on the umbrella table on the shops front deck.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)