[Coco] usb to serial adaptors and drivewire

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 22:58:04 EDT 2010

On Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:50:46 pm Jeremy Michea did opine:

> Hi again, another question on the same subject. Has anyone used one of
> these usb to serial ports to attach a drivewire cable to a coco? Just
> wondering how reliable these $2 devices can be before I bother ordering
> one and will drivewire work via these things versus a direct 9pin
> serial connection?
>
> Thanks
> Jeremy

Jeremy, there seem to be two competing major chip makers of these gismo's,
and TBT, the PL2303 based devices have not been that great.  Thats from
Prolific Labs.  The 'other guys' also a major player, are FDTI, Future
Domain Technology INc., and their stuff is generally better, fewer dropped
first bytes in a packet, something PL2303's based devices are famous for
doing.

Either of these will autobaud, but the auto can't tolerate much of a speed
error, so the baud rates you choose may have to be tweaked, particularly if
the coco end is the bitbanger port.  I've found the speeds must be within 2
or 3% of one of the std baud rates in my usage here.