[Coco] Drivewire client for OS9/68K

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Aug 28 00:52:55 EDT 2010

On 08/27/2010 10:54 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Bob Devries<devries.bob at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> what are the chances of a drivewire client being built for OS9/68000? The (extended) MM/1 is well endowed with serial ports via the 68070, 68901 and 68681 chips. I'm sure they'd be capable of the speek necessary.
>>
> Does OS9/68k have any native IP capability?

Not really.  The "Personal" OS-9 that came with the MM/1 has no TCP/IP.
There was a TCP/IP package available for hundreds of dollars, aimed
mostly at industrial systems.  The MM/1 has no Ethernet hardware, only
UART serial ports (quite a few of them, really) so any TCP/IP must have
SLIP or PPP to be of any use on the MM/1.  Some of the '68K machines of
the time (such as the "MM/1b" did have an ISA bus and may have supported
PC Ethernet cards.

There was a KA9Q-derived package for OS-9/68K, and I recall that I
bought a package from Chris Hawks at a CoCofest (probably '98-'00) that
did SLIP (I think) and provided a socket library.  It may have been
called SOX.  I think I got as far as telnetting to Apache running on a
Linux box and manually sending it HTTP commands when my MM/1 HD died the
first time and I never got back to that project.  I probably still have
the floppy.

> If so, you might want to
> run DW over IP rather than serial.

Since this would be DW over IP over serial, I suspect just the raw DW
protocol would be a better option.

JCE