[Coco] I just found an old "coco friend" on Facebook

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 23:50:43 EDT 2010

I bought my first computer from someone I was in the Navy with, and of
course it was a coco 1.

Later, I met another guy who had a coco, and we used to type in
programs from one of the magazines, and exchange them after we had
fixed the typos, by swapping cassette tapes.

There was a program which let you enter write a letter (effectively)
and save the text to cassette, then read it back in from cassette.
I don't remember the name of the program, but at the time we thought
it was pretty neat. And of course, this was way cooler than just
recording a vocal letter onto a cassette tape ;-)

We ended up going separate ways, our squadrons were deployed on
different ships, but we would exchange letters via this program &
cassette for some time.

Today, I recently found that friend on Facebook. I don't think he ever
got into OS9, but I've been filling him in on all the activities that
he isn't aware of (Drivewire, Nitros9, all of the emulators).

I've made a few friends over the years, because of the COCO.