[Coco] Rainbow Magazine + iPad = A Dream!

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 00:17:21 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:53 PM, Ron VanScherpe <rvanscherpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Boisy,
>
> I purchased Air Sharing HD so that I could transfer files to and from my
> iPad.
> It was $9.99.  The developers website is
> <http://avatron.com/apps/air-sharing-pro/><http://avatron.com/apps/air-sharing-pro/><http://avatron.com/apps/air-sharing-pro/>
> http://avatron.com/apps/air-sharing-pro/
>
> Et al,
>
> I too have owned net books but I find this to be a MUCH BETTER experience.
>  The touch interface alone is better than a mouse and keyboard.  Speaking of
> keyboard, the landscape keyboard from which I am typing this email from is
> great! It no different than my Acer Aspire One.
>
> It beats the Kindle or any e-reader.  First of all its color!  Second of all
> it has a backlight.  And yes, you can see is in the sun.  And the battery
> life is really good.  I got mine Saturday at about 11am and plugged it in
> today at 11am with about 30% still available and that was with wifi on
> transferring gigs of data to the ipad while also watching videos.
>
> But hey its MUCH MORE than an e-reader.  I can stream video from netflix or
> better yet check out this app!
> <http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html;jsessionid=769F502BD8A4346FE05D44888C4D6F52><http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html;jsessionid=769F502BD8A4346FE05D44888C4D6F52><http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html;jsessionid=769F502BD8A4346FE05D44888C4D6F52>
> http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html;jsessionid=769F502BD8A4346FE05D44888C4D6F52
>
> They're making it for the iPad!!
>
> I'm an IT manager and i can remote desktop into my windows servers as well
> as ssh or telnet into a linux machine and run an X or VNC session.

This is going way off topic for the coco list.. but I just don't get
it.  You can do all of those things on a netbook, for half the price.
And then a netbook does so much more using the same powerful
applications you use on a desktop instead of watered down mini
versions.  Most importantly to me as an open source guy, you aren't
limited to only installing software from one corporate controlled
source.  How much work are you going to do with SSH or remote desktop
when the keyboard is taking up half of the already small screen?  I
find it tedious to even type an email on such a device, much less
manage a full computer.

PS Are you sure about netflix on an ipad?  last I heard netflix was
not planning support in the near future:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/02/16/netflix-can-no-longer-ignore-small-screens.aspx