[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections - was:Color LOGO

davehazelton at comcast.net davehazelton at comcast.net
Sun Apr 4 19:07:12 EDT 2010

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I'm happy you have found something that fits your needs.

First, I work for Comcast cable, so I'll try not to be bias and FIOS is not in my town. The next town over was a test market so Verizon has been promising for over 3 years.
Verizon has service in 3 towns in my state

First, the price has doubled for those in the 3 towns. I have not seen FIOS actually not sell the Bundle. TV,Phone,Internet. and allow it to be split up.
A Friend of mine, had FIOS with a two year Contract and had nothing but problems with the internet...loved the phone and TV. So he ended up using Comcast Internet while he was paying for FIOS.
He has dropped FIOS now, His Billed doubled after the contract was over and tech support "fixing" his internet problems was really terrible. He said Comcast prices here are cheaper than FIOS, if you compare apples to apples. No introductory price gimmicks.

FIOS has such a bad Reputation here, it most likely will never expand in this state beyond the first 3 towns.

On the other hand, Comcast unfortunately also has a bad reputation (mostly bad service and expensive), and FIOS really is Comcast's only technology competitor here. If Verizon could clean up some of it's problems here, it would give Comcast here much more of a problem. I don't think those who are buying FIOS are the one complaining about the Cost. Since cost difference is minimum. Those that complain about $$$, tend to buy Satellite and a slower DSL speed.

FIOS can run @ 50M with a promise of 100M soon (3 year old promise we have heard here, but as far as I know it hasn't rolled out yet).
Comcast or any other Cable system using Docis 3.0 Technology can run @ 50M with a promise of 100M soon. In Some markets 100M has been rolled out. I've been using 50M for over a year now without any problems.
But I can only guess @ what price the 50 or 100M will set you back in dollar amount.

As FIOS runs sends only 1 channel to the TV setbox tuner, like Satellite. This technology has changed the way Cable is being delivered in the future. As Cable pushes out the older technology and fully implements Docis 3.0 it too will only need to send 1 channel to the TV Setbox tuner. Bandwidth for TV channels should not be an issue anymore. Fiber vs a Hybrid fiber/copper network doesn't seem to be an issue once you use the same technologies.

So all I am saying, buyer beware as, If Verizon wants to expand in your area, they maybe the best deal in town.
Make sure your 1 year/2 year contracts don't double after they are over.
As a former DSL user, (Pre-Comcast employee). Verizon DSL was $1 more than Earthlink 56k. I was very happy with DSL until I tried to drop it, along with my phone service. (Comcast gives an employee discount, thus i was going with that) . It took 3 months for Verizon to stop billing me and fully port my number. (If a person called from a Sprint Network or a Cell Phone or the Comcast network they could reach me. If the person was a Verizon land-line customer the call would just ring)

Pre-Comcast days, it was cheapest for me to buy Comcast TV, Verizon Phone with DSL (since you couldn't buy DSL without a Phone). I also had a Phone and DSL though TDS net and their service was better than Verizon, but more expensive over all.

Sorry, I just thought this was a little "commercial" for the forums and thought I would give a different side to try to keep it "fair". And those that don't really care but read this long winded message, I hope you learned a little about what's happening in cable. Because learning about Technology is what I think this forum is about .

~David Hazelton