[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections - was:Color LOGO

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 12:25:07 EDT 2010

Now that's funny, Roy...

Here in the sticks in northern Florida, the area has just been awarded a
grant to implement broadband in rural areas (including where I live). The
'plan' is supposed to be in place by September 30, 2010 and be fully
implemented with 2 years, I think. However, few have actually seen 'the
plan', and the original 'plan' was withdrawn by the original consultants due
the broadband consortium not informing them it was being put out for
competitive bid.

Windstream already does a good job of providing broadband to the areas they
cover (which are about 1/4 of AT&T's coverage, and ends 2 blocks from where
I live). AT&T sucks canal water - big time - as they have failed in every
way to live up to the guarantees of the merger with Bellsouth. When AT&T and
Bellsouth merged, AT&T was supposed to have provided broadband internet to
Bellsouth's rural customers by the end of 2008. AT&T's idea of 'providing'
broadband internet is the inclusion of a link to Wild Blue satellite
internet service - something already well known to rural residents. HugesNet
and Wild Blue were popular when they debuted, however, their corresponding
business practices have dampened the popularity. State legislatures couldn't
care less that AT&T failed to live up to promises either, since if you're
not in a population center of 250,000+, you might as well not exist.

The only real broadband option we have, besides satellite, is wireless via
Verizon. The service has actually improved since the Verizon/Alltel merger,
but, customer service thru Verizon took a huge nosedive...