[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections - was:Color LOGO

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Sun Apr 4 10:34:09 EDT 2010

From: "Sean" <badfrog at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 2:39 AM
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Coco] Stories of Internet Connections - was:Color LOGO

> After that job, I went to DSL, and up until two years ago, after every
> time it would rain, my internet would go out, (many many phone calls,
> 'no, it's not my router.  it's raining out'.  Service guys show up
> 'Your service looks fine'.  'Yes, because it is NOT RAINING today!')
> I just swore at AT&T and got cable instead.  Canceled my land line
> about 6 months ago as well.  The copper outside somewhere is crap, and
> they had no interest in fixing it.  So they were not going to get
> anymore of my money.

Had the same problem with Cox cable except that the TV picture was snowy
even without the rain. We had a Cox tech come to the house several times but
they never really did anything and seems to me didn't want to be bothered to
try to find the problem. I finally decided to kick 'em to the curb and order
DirecTV. What I find so hilarious about this decision is that the DirecTV
tech found the cable problem in less than two minutes. Turns out some
rodent(s) had decided to snack on the RG-58 coming into the house (just as
it entered the crawlspace from outside) so it had a six-inch section of
nothing but center connector. If the Cox tech had simply followed the cable
from the junction box to the conduit entering the crawlspace, the problem
would have been staring him in the face. I guess it just goes to show how
utterly lazy these guys are.