[Coco] Stories of Internet Connections - was:Color LOGO

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 03:05:12 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Sean <badfrog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Similar story for me, I moved into the special 'computer science hall'
> in 1995 that was wired with ethernet to every room.  Windows 95 had
> just come out, and if you had Windows 3.1, I was the one that you got
> sent to if you needed Trumpet Winsock set up.  I remember all those
> DOS ethernet drivers being a huge PITA.
>
> After graduating in '98, I had to live off dial-up for over two years,
> until a job gave me a T1 line to my house.  (Talk about awesome!)  Had
> my own Cisco router and firewall in my basement.
>
> After that job, I went to DSL, and up until two years ago, after every
> time it would rain, my internet would go out, (many many phone calls,
> 'no, it's not my router.  it's raining out'.  Service guys show up
> 'Your service looks fine'.  'Yes, because it is NOT RAINING today!')

i am in the exact same situation.  AT&T DSL that d/c every time it
rains.  call tech support, explain that the problem only occurs during
rain, they send a guy out and of course it works on the sunny day they
visit.  I gave up on that.
I replaced their cheapo dsl router with a cisco router and dsl card,
now it never goes out but it does slow down sometimes on rainy days.

I'd drop at&t in a second if I had any alternative besides comcast,
who I hate even more.

-Aaron