[Coco] Color LOGO

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 3 00:17:36 EDT 2010

On Friday 02 April 2010, Brian Blake wrote:
>The files have currently been taken down. The ISP doesn't like ftp files
>that are not linked to the website in some fashion on shared accounts.
> This is NOT spelled out in the TOS I read when I signed up, but, oh
> well...
>
>In order for the files to remain available, I'll have to create a page for
>the download of files. It'll take some time, but, they'll be back.
>
>Ironically (or not), if I paid the cost of a dedicated server, I could do
>ftp...

They figure they have to get their pound of flesh by some means, either by
plastering commercials all over it, or charging one an arm & the left one.
The link to my stuff that's posted here occasionally?  The :85 bypasses
their port 80 blockade, and that _is_ this machine.  So treat it gently.

And right now I don't know what the bandwidth is, my phone line dropped out
Wednesday about noon and the only reason I called verizon is because the
Public Service Commission here requires the name of the contact person you
talked to at vz when you called in the trouble report.

I did this 3 weeks ago when the line died the last time, and when I called,
the D...head in India wouldn't put me through to repair service until he had
completed his own version of the Census form.  That outage was from about
4ish Friday to about 8pm-ish Sunday.  They first said it would be fixed
before 5pm the next Wednesday!  Needless to say I went ballistic & they
finally came back and said sometime Saturday, but Saturday came and went, as
did most of Sunday.

But when they 'fixed' it, my bandwidth dropped to about 35k/sec & I'm paying
for 180k/sec.  So I sent them another message via the web page this past
Monday after putting up with it for a couple of weeks.  It went up to about
140k/sec the next day, Tuesday & then the phone, on that same copper, died
around noon the next day.  So I filed with the PSC. late Wednesday evening.
I have a neighbor that has had so much trouble he just calls the PSC on his
cell phone.  Got an email from the PSC acking my complaint Thursday morning,
& vz has the gall to ask my why I filed with the PSC when they deign to
calling my cell phone about 4 this afternoon.  Without calling anybody names
or questioning their family tree (and boy was that testing my patience), I
told them exactly what I thought was going on & what it would take to fix
it.  Then she tried to put me off till next Monday afternoon & I went
ballistic again.  She went off to check, and they are supposed to have
someone in town tomorrow, seems somebody stole a few hundred feet of copper
that was in use from another place so they had to be here anyway.  A likely
story IMO.

This is what you get when the phone company has a franchise and locally
nearly zero competition. Yeah cable is here, and nearly 2x the money.

What we need today are free markets.