[Coco] Color LOGO

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 15:43:44 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Tim Fadden <t.fadden at cox.net> wrote:
> On 4/2/2010 11:53 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM,<paulh96636 at aol.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Didn't work for me using Safari on OSX 10.4.1
>>>  error code -36
>>>

>> Then your browser fails to properly implement RFC 1738, which is where
>> URL syntax is defined.
>>
>> Although that is possible, I suspect this is not the case, and you are
>> not actually seeing what is in my message.  Poorly behaved mail
>> clients like to mangle URLs that don't fit their limited understanding
>> of the syntax.  The best approach, if you must use one of these mail
>> clients, is to view messages as plain text.  This should preserve the
>> URL as I typed it.
>>
>> -Aaron
>>

> If using thunderbird, do a "mouse over" on the link.  At the bottom you will
> see the correct link address.
>
> Also, If you go back to the original web link on:
> http://colorcomputer.50webs.com/cocolinks-en.html and show a "mouse over",
>
> It shows up as:   ftp://anonymous@randomrodder.com@ftp.randomrodder.com/
>
> Which is different than what is being sent around.

That is different from the URL I've suggested folks try only in that
the first "@" in my version is replaced by %40.
The two are equivalent in any browser that supports internet
standards, but having two @ signs seemed to confused IE whereas using
%40 in it's place worked fine.

Having an @ sign in an FTP user name is probably not a great idea for
compatibility with the widest range of clients, but it is legal.

> If you go there, and then put in:  anonymous at randomrodder.com  for the
> password, it works When using Firefox.

Firefox also supports the variation of putting a : after the username
and before the @site:

ftp://anonymous%40randomrodder.com:@ftp.randomrodder.com/

This tells Firefox to use a password of "nothing" which gets you in
and prevents any password prompts from showing up at all.  Even though
this syntax is used as an example in the RFC itself, IE doesn't seem
to allow it.  Instead I had to leave out the null password  (:) and
then respond to a "Enter password" prompt with nothing.

> Also, when using FTPVoyager (a windows gui ftp client)  anonymous login does
> not work. what does work is:
> Login:  anonymous at randomrodder.com
> Password:  anonymous at randomrodder.com
>
> This is the strangest setup I have ever seen, one of a kind, and I use ftp
> on a daily basis all over the place.

Agree it is a weird setup.  I've not seen it before either.  Rather
than supporting anonymous FTP properly, the site requires regular user
login as "anonymous at randomrodder.com".   I never type a password
though, I leave it blank and it works.  In any case, simple changing
the site to use regular anonymous FTP (if public access is the goal)
would sure save some folks on the list some trouble! :)

> That is the only way I have been able to get in any how.  I don't know about
> rfc's, But I can figure out how to get in! :-)

The RFC that defines URL syntax is pretty easier to understand, and
knowing it will let you use your browser to do all kinds of cool
things:

3.1. Common Internet Scheme Syntax

   While the syntax for the rest of the URL may vary depending on the
   particular scheme selected, URL schemes that involve the direct use
   of an IP-based protocol to a specified host on the Internet use a
   common syntax for the scheme-specific data:

   ":<port>", and "/<url-path>" may be excluded.  The scheme specific
   data start with a double slash "//" to indicate that it complies with
   the common Internet scheme syntax. The different components obey the
   following rules:

    user
        An optional user name. Some schemes (e.g., ftp) allow the
        specification of a user name.

    password
        An optional password. If present, it follows the user
        name separated from it by a colon.

   The user name (and password), if present, are followed by a
   commercial at-sign "@". Within the user and password field, any ":",
   "@", or "/" must be encoded.

   Note that an empty user name or password is different than no user
   name or password; there is no way to specify a password without
   specifying a user name. E.g., <URL:ftp://@host.com/> has an empty
   user name and no password, <URL:ftp://host.com/> has no user name,
   while <URL:ftp://foo:@host.com/> has a user name of "foo" and an
   empty password.

(from http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html)

-Aaron