[Coco] rsdos or pcdos source

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat Sep 26 21:38:11 EDT 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 25 September 2009, Joel Ewy wrote:
>
>> Willard Goosey wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have source for the OS-9 utilities "rsdos" and/or "pcdos"?
>>> Once I'm done with curses, I want to investigate getting OS-9 to read
>>> foreign disk formats.
>>>
>>> I've got the docs and source for the cc3disk patch to enable the
>>> ability, but I'd like to see how it actually works.
>>>
>>> Thanks in Advance
>>> Willard
>>>
>> Are you thinking about a proper file manager?  I have wondered if a
>> generalized FAT-style file manager could be made to handle both RS-DOS
>> and PC-DOS file systems, with the device descriptors telling the driver
>> which one to use.
>>
>> JCE
>>

> That would be sweet, Joel.  Something along the lines of the linux mc
> (Midnight Commander), a 2 panel thing showing both directories.  And
> something that can do both hard and soft linkages would be nice too.
>
> I always intended to write an os9 version of ln, but miss-laid my round tuit.

Of course, I meant "file manager" in the OS-9 sense, not in the sense of
a userland move-stuff-around utility, but of course the latter would be
a fine thing as well.  I always thought gshell could have been a whole
lot better.  And of course an 'mc'-style text-mode thing would be a lot
easier on memory.  What I had in mind was something along the lines of
RBF -- call it FBF, the FAT block file manager.  Device descriptors like
c0 and m0 would specify whether we are talking about CoCo ('RS-DOS') or
MS-DOS disks.  (256- or 512-byte sectors, what type of FAT, etc.)  Maybe
the differences are too great to make it practical.

I always hated the RSDOS and PCDOS utilities.

JCE