[Coco] Emulator

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 6 18:11:31 EDT 2009

Paul Fitch wrote:
>Wayne, I run VCC 1.4 on my home XP Professional system (32bit) and on my XP
>Home netbook (also 32bit).  With no issues.  I've also not found the utility
>set for Nitros to be "less" useful than the stock OS-9 utils.  IMO, they are
>much better.  Of course, when compared to the 68k versions, where available,
>the OS-9 Lvl 2 utils do have less functionality.  I've always believed it
>was a size/space thing.

This is very interesting. I assumed Vcc didn't run when I tried it because it was treated by XP the same way all other 16-bit programs I've tried to run were treated. The window closes faster than it opens. Are there any special settings or anything I should know about when installing it? I don't recall seeing anything in the documentation that suggested special settings...

As to NitrOS-9, perhaps it is better than it used to be. Maybe it's just my memory being faulty, but I could swear that many of the basic commands included with OS-9 Level II as having parameter options that are absent in the version of NitrOS-9 I have. Then there's the fact that the .os9 image for the 80-track version of the /dd descriptor doesn't include the /d1 or /d2 descriptors for 80-track drives. I have found nothing on the images supplied that will allow me to use the default descriptors for those drives to build a custom bootfile either.

I would much rather have the original OS-9 level II disk and the development system disk. At least then I would be able to isolate problems as being related to MESS, and not the OS or Basic09.

Wayne