[Coco] Coco Digest, Vol 77, Issue 12

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 15 18:19:46 EDT 2009

Richard Adams wrote:

> but it's very rare to see any CoCo
> stuff at all, or even Atari or C64 or Vic20 or TI 99 or Adam/Coleco stuff

Retro computing/gaming stuff is becoming increasingly hard to find as people
"wisen up" that there's money to be made from this stuff. It used to be that
you could walk into any pawn shop and pick up an old console for nothing -
or even find stuff on the sidewalk during council cleanups. Years ago I
bought a boxed NES for AUD$7, and a few unboxed for AUD$1!!!

Now, the old consoles are very rare in pawn shops because people know they
can get a lot more for it on eBay. And when you do find one, they're often
asking ridiculous prices. I kid you not - a few months ago I saw some rather
well-worn SNES games (in equally well-worn boxes) for which they wanted
AUD$95 each!!!! :O Each!!! And they weren't even rare titles! (To give you
an idea - unboxed SNES games here generally go for AUD$3-5).

It's only going to get worse as these things inevitably get rarer - either
thrown out or lost by the uncaring, or snapped up by collectors.

Regards,