[Coco] Thanks Sean! (Serial-Parrallel Converter)

Chad H chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 22:15:17 EDT 2009

Got this thing today and hooked from my Coco 2 to my HP Deskjet 540.  At
first was garbage, then realized the printer wasn't putting out the right
power after all so had to use the Wal-wart.   After that it 'seemed' to be
printing legit text but all on the first line of the page overwriting each
other!  Per the info on the instruction sheet you enclosed it says the
CoCo's don't generate LF after CR..hmm obvious culprit.  Solution was to
change the DIP switches on printer.  Yea I remember those on old dot matrix
printers but the HP Deskjet doesn't have DIP's.  Fortunately, the HP website
still has a reference guide to the PCL 3 language natively supported by the
DJ-540.  Used that to send a CR=CR+LF initialization string and voila!
Prints beautifully.  Glad to bring it out of the top of my closet and use it
again.  Surprisingly, the thing has been stored up for several years and the
ink cartridge was not dried out.  Of course I did remove it from the print
assembly and placed it in a plastic storage piece that had some sort of
foam/rubber pressing against the bottom of the cartridge.maybe this
protected it.

Thanks again!

-          Chad