[Coco] TRS-80 Color Computer: Wikipedia Article

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Nov 27 09:29:55 EST 2009

Frank

Many factors go into the pricing of a chip. Foremost of all is the profit margin that a specific
company targets. Motorola has been traditionally high on piece parts like chips in the early
80's. This is partly due to the way they handled distribution of parts to vendors. Small
quantities to repair shops and stores were higher in cost than to OEMs. Ordering parts out of
the National Parts Dept was often met with a 5X price tag over the actuall manufacturing(
Direct Material and Direct Labor) cost.

Back in the early 80's a 4 inch bipolar wafer cost about $1200 to make irregardless if one or
1000 chips were on that wafer. In chip processing, area rules the cost of chips. In the early
80's the technology could at best do 1.2 micron spacing, today we are pushing 40
nanometers (0.04 micron). A 30X size reduction in less than 30yrs. Also wafers have gone
from 4 inch to 16 inch wafers.

Packaging costs have dropped from about $0.25 per pin for ceramic packages to about a
penny a pin today for ball grid array packages. The DIP packages are injected molded plastic
process and back then cost about ten cents per pin. Now it is about five cents a pin.

I can remember back in 98 doing cost reduction on some pagers, I faced an issue where an
IC used cost about $2.50 to make and about $1.20 more for the package. The result was to
move the part out of its ceramic package into a less expensive leadless package.

james