[Coco] Could MESS CD-i emulation be hacked to MM/1?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Nov 23 16:17:41 EST 2009

KARL SEFCIK wrote:
> Aaron and others,
>   I don't know if this will get through, but if you remember, CDI ran off the 68070 chip, which had different architecture than the straight-out 68000 family. Back in it's time, a separate appliance was 'in vogue', before cd players were slots in PC's. So like previous attempts to emulate CDI, it may need a daughter processor. But CDI still is the first attempt at full motion digital video, and yes, I still have some CDI movies that I have not seen or even opened yet.Karl

Hi Karl,

The 68070, even though it has a number that appears to make it an
advanced member of the 68K family (such as the 68020 - 68060) actually
has a basic 68000-compatible core with the addition of some extra
hardware, such as a DMA controller, a simple MMU, and so on.  More to
the point, the MM/1 and the TC-70 computers also used the 68070,
specifically chosen with the idea of making it similar to the CD-i
platform.  But what matters more is that the MM/1 (and I think also the
TC-70) also used a Signetics 66470 Video / System Controller (VSC),
which was also developed for the CD-i.  Because the MM/1 and TC-70
shared so much hardware with CD-i players, a hardware-level CD-i
emulator gets pretty close to being able to emulate those old OS-9
computers.

JCE