[Coco] DriveWire netdisks

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 20:31:50 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com> wrote:
> At 11:58 PM 11/18/2009, you wrote:
>>
>> I just put together another "proof of concept" type hack for
>> DriveWire.  This modification allows you to attach disk images to your
>> CoCo that are located on another server, using TCP.   I just booted my
>> CoCo off an image on my web server which is in Dallas TX, my Coco and
>> I live in south Florida.  Pretty cool :)
>>
>> The repository provides a listing of available disk images and their
>> description (in the future this could be done better or with more
>> detail).  Choose a name from the list, and it's instantly "in the
>> drive" of your CoCo.  Current version only allows reading the disks,
>> but maybe something could be worked out to allow
>> controlled/protected/authenticated/etc writing to the images as well.
>>
>> If anyone wants to play hunt the bugs with this, I put the initial
>> code on my coco project page at http://aaronwolfe.com/coco
>>
>> -Aaron
>
> Ya got a lot of catching up to do there, Aaron.  :)
>
> --
> ~ Roger Taylor

I think I'll be abandoning the network portion of this idea, since
WebDAV can accomplish basically the same thing and file system level
support is available on all the target platforms already.  Also, using
a webdav model makes the images just as easily usable by people
running in emulators.

I am still interested in a public collection of disks images, with an
easy way to share disk images between users. Some way to categorize
them would be nice too.  I'm guessing there is a good way to do all
that with just a web site/webdav combination.

-Aaron