[Coco] Caring for a CoCo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Nov 18 21:57:58 EST 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
>I would think that would be an issue with a lot of CoCos and might explain
> some of the "strangeness" that CoCo's exhibit as they get older.
>
>What would be the symptoms of this type of degradation james?

Less than stable operation.  And hum bars in the video would be instant cause
for replacement of the electrolytics.  All of them at this age are going to
be suspect.

I'm seeing heat questions.  I battled that too, but cooled it down some when
I swapped the 512k card out for one of Tony D's 2 megs kits, which uses a
pair of 1 megs simm modules.  But the real end of the heat problems was when
I pulled all the psu components off the board in both my cc3 and the
multipack, and ran a pair of 4 pin trailer connectors out to an old AT power
supply.  Its fan cooled and loafing with that load along with my stack of
drives, and the coco3 runs so cool that I have laid a darkroom thermometer on
the top grill, & tossed a furniture blanket on top of that.  I can come back
in an hour, or 2 weeks, and the thermometer is maybe 2 degrees above ambient.

In short, the coco's power supply is its own worst enemy.  With the 2 meg kit
and a 63C09, the only heat source left is the gime chip.