[Coco] CoCoNet status

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 07:14:44 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com> wrote:
> At 06:38 PM 11/13/2009, you wrote:
>>
>> > The CoCoNet server behaves like a modem.  You can send AT commands to it
>> > do everything, including Telnet, but that requires a terminal program,
>> > as
>> > CoCoNet doesn't deal with Telnet.
>> >

> I meant to say that the CoCoNet client (the CoCo ROM) doesn't have any
> *direct* Telnet support, but the server does which means you can use a
> terminal program and login to a Telnet site by sending ATDT and the IP
> address or URL.  A bare bones terminal program will be in the CoCoNet ROM
> before the week is up, and is absolutely necessary if no other software can
> be loaded on the CoCo.  For example: fire up with a wireless pak, type a
> BASIC command, up pops a terminal program where you can talk to the
> bluetooth module using English commands to change it's settings for future
> boots.
>

>> Does CoCoNet create a virtual serial port on windows, or PTY in
>> linux/mac os x?  If so, I'd be happy to make every attempt to support
>> it in my serial -> tcpip project for drivewire.  Also I'm considering
>> a full screen terminal application tailored to CoCo/OS9 use, I'd love
>> to be able to support CoCoNet in addition to DriveWire.   Maybe most
>> importantly, is CoCoNet free (as in freedom) software?
>
> The CoCoNet server doesn't create any serial ports, but you can choose COM
> 0-255.  You can also run different copies of the server, each one opening
> it's own serial port.  For wireless use, the port needs to be the Incoming
> port assigned to the paired connection between the PC and CoCo, so the CoCo
> can connect automatically on power-up.  However, the CoCo looks for the
> first available bluetooth connection and connects to it, assuming it's the
> CoCoNet server.

Ok, I think I understand you are saying I could use the bit banger or
your rs232/bluetooth module to connect to any COM port on the host,
which is how it talks to the server running there?

I think I was too wrapped up in my own project to clearly ask the
question that I meant to ask  :)

What I was wondering was if CoCoNet then provided access to that same
serial device to other programs, if that makes sense.  For instance,
is there a way to boot os9 over the bitbanger that is connected to the
CoConet server software, and then use that same bitbanger as a regular
OS9 device to provide a shell to the host?

The reason this is important to me is that I'd like to use remote
terminals, tcpip/modem things, etc but I have only a CoCo with a
bitbanger.. no MPI or rs232.  I need my one cart slot for the
DriveWire rom.

So this "serial device pass through" is what I'm working on for
drivewire.  Basically you can use the bitbanger for your drives, and
still use it as a serial port (under OS9 at least).  Actually now you
can use it as 7 serial ports.  There have been some challenges, mostly
my own lack of experience, but I've managed to get it working pretty
well.  I thought that if you had done/were doing the same thing then
maybe we were solving some of the same issues.  Maybe we are?  I'm
always happy to share my work or collaborate if its of use to your
project.

Is the server software open/free?  I don't mean free of charge, I know
you sell your products and I fully  respect that.  I mean if someone
buys CoCoNet, do they get the source?

Also, what platforms does the CoCoNet server run on?  linux I hope? :)

-Aaron