[Coco] CoCoNet status

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Nov 15 14:32:38 EST 2009

At 06:38 PM 11/13/2009, you wrote:
> > The CoCoNet server behaves like a modem.  You can send AT commands to it to
> > do everything, including Telnet, but that requires a terminal program, as
> > CoCoNet doesn't deal with Telnet.

I meant to say that the CoCoNet client (the CoCo ROM) doesn't have
any *direct* Telnet support, but the server does which means you can
use a terminal program and login to a Telnet site by sending ATDT and
the IP address or URL.  A bare bones terminal program will be in the
CoCoNet ROM before the week is up, and is absolutely necessary if no
other software can be loaded on the CoCo.  For example: fire up with
a wireless pak, type a BASIC command, up pops a terminal program
where you can talk to the bluetooth module using English commands to
change it's settings for future boots.

>Does CoCoNet create a virtual serial port on windows, or PTY in
>linux/mac os x?  If so, I'd be happy to make every attempt to support
>it in my serial -> tcpip project for drivewire.  Also I'm considering
>a full screen terminal application tailored to CoCo/OS9 use, I'd love
>to be able to support CoCoNet in addition to DriveWire.   Maybe most
>importantly, is CoCoNet free (as in freedom) software?

The CoCoNet server doesn't create any serial ports, but you can
choose COM 0-255.  You can also run different copies of the server,
each one opening it's own serial port.  For wireless use, the port
needs to be the Incoming port assigned to the paired connection
between the PC and CoCo, so the CoCo can connect automatically on
power-up.  However, the CoCo looks for the first available bluetooth
connection and connects to it, assuming it's the CoCoNet server.

--
~ Roger Taylor