[Coco] drivewire serial port progress

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 07:54:12 EST 2009

If you're brave, you can have it right now http://aaronwolfe.com/coco

>> For data/modem applications, there is another set of controls.  Can
>> both be implemented at once, or will there need to be two
>> modes/descriptors/something?
>
> Are you talking from the Linux or CoCo side of things?  On Unix-y systems, I
> believe there are a set of ioctl functions to configure a tty device for
> console or raw data I/O.  On the CoCo side, there are folks a lot smarter
> than I am who'll have to answer :-).

Mostly the Coco side.  As I study the existing SCF drivers and the os9
tech reference, it seems like certain control characters actually have
to be turned into signals, not sent through as characters.   My
concern is that sending binary data through this channel would create
chaos.

> The Unix view is documented reasonably well in Stevens' "Advanced
> Programming in the Unix Environment".

One of my favorite books :)  I actually had to get it out when I was
working on the PTY support in this project.