[Coco] drivewire serial port progress

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 07:39:36 EST 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> After a long night of hacking I now have an interrupt based driver
> working, and it's working really well.  Took a lot of debugging but I
> learned much in the process.
>
> I used a buffer in the style of sc6551's, I think I can get dw to
> write straight into it in the future.  I somehow solved the issues
> with non VDG consoles, it now works fine with level 1 or 2, any
> console mode.  I also got rid of an occasional mysterious input bug.
> All in all, it's coming together fast.

I cannot wait to see this.  Nice work!

> For data/modem applications, there is another set of controls.  Can
> both be implemented at once, or will there need to be two
> modes/descriptors/something?

Are you talking from the Linux or CoCo side of things?  On Unix-y systems,
I believe there are a set of ioctl functions to configure a tty device for
console or raw data I/O.  On the CoCo side, there are folks a lot smarter
than I am who'll have to answer :-).

The Unix view is documented reasonably well in Stevens' "Advanced
Programming in the Unix Environment".

Steve