[Coco] funny discovery

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 9 23:15:33 EST 2009

Wayne Campbell wrote:
> I looked again at the os9 archive for the level 2 version. I found that the master boot disk was indeed there! The Basic09/Config disk is named OS9BOOT.os9 and the master boot disk is named OS9SYSMR.os9. I put OS9SYSMR.os9 in as disk 0, and OS9BOOT.os9 as disk 1, and typed DOS.
>
> It showed the OS9 BOOT screen with the black text and green background, then the screen went black, and a blue cursor showed up. I could tell I was at the first screen, but I can't see anything because the text and background are both black.
>
> I tried entering the date (in 2-digit year format), it did something, but it's been too long for me to remember what happens when you boot off the system master.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem? Know what to do about the screen colors?
>
> Also, I want to set up a virtual hard disk in MESS to use as a bootable hd from OS-9. Because of the way the NitrOS-9 disk I am using is set up, I can't access a hard drive with it, and the only 720K floppies I can use have to be /d0 to be read. To create a new boot disk, I'm going to use OS-9 Level 2. I want to be able to use a hard disk image. When I had my CoCo3, I had a 20-meg hd that came with a Tandy 2000 I bought back then. I had it set up as my boot drive, and it worked fine. I want to do that with MESS. Can anyone help me with this, as I am at a total loss for how to do it, and MESS isn't very informative on the subject.
>
> Wayne

You can get RSDOS with instructions on how to use it with an OS-9
virtual hard drive from my site
http://home.att.net/~robert.gault/Coco/Downloads/Downloads.htm
or you can get a pre-formatted .vhd image from the VCC site and use it
with the VCC emulator or MESS with the RGBDOS ROM.
http://vcc6809.bravehost.com/downloads.html