[Coco] beginning os9 assembler questions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 6 21:51:58 EST 2009

On Friday 06 November 2009, Joel Ewy wrote:
>Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry if these are basic questions.  I'm just getting started with os9
>> programming.
>>
>> What is the preferred file editor?  I have scred from the developers
>> system and 'edit'.
>
>I liked VED, and also TSEDIT with the 'vi' patch.  The latter is nice if
>you are already familiar with vi.

Yes, arguably the best unless one needs files bigger than a #56k buffer will
hold.  When running on the newest nitros9, it has to be renamed both
internally and in the directory entry because vi clashes with the vi window
descriptor.  I didn't have a copy of ed around, so now my copy is called
'ed'.  More than one way to skin that cat. ;-)  Or as one wag said a year or
so ago, "so many cats, so few good recipes..."