[Coco] beginning os9 assembler questions

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 6 19:36:51 EST 2009

Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  I have a drivewire rompak + cable, actually this
> is my only storage at the moment.  When you say that we can now run
> files stored on a PC or assemble the source on the PC, do you mean in
> an emulator?  Or is there some way to directly edit files in a CoCo
> disk image with (for instance) a Windows file editor like notepad?  I
> store the disk images used by drivewire on my PC, but I don't know how
> to access the files inside those images except by mounting the image
> in an emulator or to a coco via drivewire.  Can I actually get into
> them with the host PC?  That would be interesting.

As an example, I can create a source file with RainbowIDE or even
Microsoft work, put the file on a .dsk or .os9 disk image, mount the
file with Drivewire, and then either run the binary or assemble the
source from my Coco3.
RainbowIDE will automatically use imgtool.exe or a Toolshed program
(decb.exe or os9.exe) to put the files on a disk image. The same tools
can be used to add files to an image manually.

If you don't want to use a Coco at all, then you can use the emulators
VCC or MESS to run or assemble files.