[Coco] beginning os9 assembler questions

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 17:15:22 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Robert Gault
<robert.gault at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry if these are basic questions.  I'm just getting started with os9
>> programming.
>>
>> What is the preferred file editor?  I have scred from the developers
>> system and 'edit'.
>>
>> Is the basic process 1 create source, 2 assemble with rma, 3 link with
>> rlink?
>>
>> I am learning from Rainbow articles and the os9 dev system manual.
>> Are there other books or guides I should read?
>>
>> Since I am using and targeting nitros9, are there special considerations?
>>
>> Thanks for advice
>> -Aaron
>>

> I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on this. :)
>
> I use scred and asm almost exclusively on a real Coco when programming in
> assembly for OS-9. I've also done some C programming which forces the use of
> a linker.
>
> Now that we can easily transfer files from a PC to a Coco or even run files
> stored on a PC with Drivewire or Roger's programs, you could use any full
> screen editor to create source. You can even assemble the source first on
> the PC.

Thanks for the info.  I have a drivewire rompak + cable, actually this
is my only storage at the moment.  When you say that we can now run
files stored on a PC or assemble the source on the PC, do you mean in
an emulator?  Or is there some way to directly edit files in a CoCo
disk image with (for instance) a Windows file editor like notepad?  I
store the disk images used by drivewire on my PC, but I don't know how
to access the files inside those images except by mounting the image
in an emulator or to a coco via drivewire.  Can I actually get into
them with the host PC?  That would be interesting.