[Coco] beginning os9 assembler questions

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 6 09:37:07 EST 2009

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if these are basic questions.  I'm just getting started with os9
> programming.
>
> What is the preferred file editor?  I have scred from the developers
> system and 'edit'.
>
> Is the basic process 1 create source, 2 assemble with rma, 3 link with rlink?
>
> I am learning from Rainbow articles and the os9 dev system manual.
> Are there other books or guides I should read?
>
> Since I am using and targeting nitros9, are there special considerations?
>
> Thanks for advice
> -Aaron

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on this. :)

I use scred and asm almost exclusively on a real Coco when programming
in assembly for OS-9. I've also done some C programming which forces the
use of a linker.

Now that we can easily transfer files from a PC to a Coco or even run
files stored on a PC with Drivewire or Roger's programs, you could use
any full screen editor to create source. You can even assemble the
source first on the PC.