[Coco] [CoCo] Radioshack disconnect

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 2 00:53:33 EST 2009

Bob Devries wrote:

> and Dick Smith stores have become "Concept Stores", and the staff knows
> almost nothing about electronics, and stocks no electronics-related parts.

Not quite true. Only a few weeks ago a went into the local Dick Smith and
bought a couple of capacitors and a packet of fuses (for a Sord M23 no less!)

Having said that, the aforementioned parts were sitting in a neglected
corner of the store, in a half-empty, often mis-labelled carousel with
out-dated price tags (all that was missing was a sign reading "Beware of the
Leopard"). And I've little doubt that the guy who served me had no
absolutely idea what I was buying. He was too busy trying to sell a PS3 to
take much notice of the $6 I was spending.

I think 98% of Dick Smith and Tandy revenue these days come from clueless
grandparents who for some unfathomable reason think that it's the best place
to buy little Johnny a Wii for xmas and a cordless phone or inkjet printer
for themselves.

Regards,