[Coco] Emulator - back to the thread's original question

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 1 16:28:36 EST 2009

Wayne Campbell wrote:

> MESS has both a Windows version (messui.exe) and a 16-bit (I
> think, mess.exe) version.

It has been many, many years since a 16-bit application was ever released on
an Intel platform. In fact, you'd probably have to go back to Visual C++
v2.0 if you wanted to write a 16-bit application, and then you'd have
compatability problems with modern Windows OSes.

MESS CLI is a 32-bit application. You're confusing CLI (console-mode apps)
with 16-bit. There's no correlation what-so-ever. I'd even venture to
suggest it's possible to write a 64-bit console app - though my knowledge of
64-bit windows is, well, non-existent - so I may be mistaken here.

When you say "it won't run", what exactly happens?

Regards,