[Coco] OS-9 BBS (Was: Caring for a CoCo)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:32:25 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Ron Bihler <rbihler at msn.com> wrote:
> No RiBBS is not multiline, however being OS9 it should be possible to run
> multiple copies.  The original Coco was too slow to do much more than just
> run ribbs. In regards to source, I am still trying to put this together and
> thanks to some help I am getting we are Unpacking the packed code.
> Ron Bihler

Wow, I was just reading through documentation of RiBBS, and here's a
post from the man himself :)

RiBBS seems like a nice system.  Since my project would be using
virtual serial ports and internet connections, the connections work a
little differently.  While I could emulate a modem in the server, it
would be more efficient if I could just strip out all the code for
dealing with modems and let RiBBS just assume that this will be
handled elsewhere.  This is one reason why I was interested in having
the source.

Also, these days I don't think anyone would want to use uucp or
Fidonet (although I think fido does exist in some form still).  In
truth message areas as a whole would probably not be very useful these
days.  Might be able to save ram by taking out a lot of things that
were critical to a BBS back in the day, although I'd want to preserve
the "look and feel".

I thought folks might like to play a few of the old BBS door games, or
chat room type things, or just poke around in the system and remember
how things used to be.  I can't think of any real use for an OS-9 BBS
beyond the fun of reminiscing.

This makes me wonder, does anyone have an archive of a popular BBS
that they'd like to see brought back to life?  If I'm doing this to
remember the "good old days", might as well go all the way :)

-Aaron