[Coco] So, would you like a little Internet with your CoCo?

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Tue May 19 01:09:18 EDT 2009

Steve Bjork wrote:
> Roger Merchberger wrote:
>> I hate to be the "wet blanket" here,
> Then don't be.
>
> I've ready started working on a packet server that would let a CoCo
> send information to other CoCo user via the Internet.  This protocol
> will either deliver the packet right away if the intended CoCo is also
> on the Internet or hold it till they got on.
>
> This type of protocol will be great for a Chess Game to running a live
> chat. The best part is that a CoCo BASIC program (that you create)
> could use the Internet to send information to a selected CoCo.
>
> A bit better than some old text protocol?
>
> Steve (Zaxxon) Bjork

That would be pretty cool.  Have apps like unix/talk for chatting, or
how about wall/rwall to send a message to all your friends at once! I
take it this is running on a pc or some such. Have you seen the telnet
BBs server? Runs on windows, and connects to the coco on the serial
port. It looks like a modem, and accepts IP addresses from the coco term
program connects to it. I use it to log into my coco from work.  It
could be used for coco to coco communication via the net also. Only
problem I have seen with it so far is that it does not pass binary files
through. ascii works great.  Use cuts to covert everything to ascii
before transfering is one solution.  oops there I go rambling again.

Tim