[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Rainbow magazines wanted for scanning

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon May 18 17:25:53 EDT 2009

On Sunday 17 May 2009, jasonb1963 wrote:
>Dez,
>
>It's great that the magazines are available in so many different formats.
> Rapidshare is great for downloading current stuff, but don't they remove
> stuff from their servers if it isn't downloaded regularly (like at least
> once every 30 days)?
>
>100DPI PDFs should be approximately 9 times smaller than 300DPI PDFs
> (although practically probably slightly less because the compression will
> likely be more efficient at the higher resolutions).  This should be
> sufficient for viewing on the screen (except perhaps for very small text).
>
>One thing I don't know if you're aware of is that the DJVU format holds the
> images at 300DPI and still manages to compress them much more than
> equivalent resolution PDF documents due to the more advanced compression
> used.  This makes it great for document archival purposes.  Why don't I
> convert one of your 300DPI scans into DJVU format and upload it to
> excalibur?  I suspect that it will look better than a 100DPI PDF and be
> smaller still, but the proof is in the pudding.
>
>--
>Jason

I suspect, and the acid test is to Just Do It, that taking the raw 300dpi
scan, and making a DjVu out of that, will not only give a higher quality
output, but make the resultant file even smaller than the convertor can.

I have downloaded the tools that should do it, and will see if my 'list of
suspects' is properly sorted. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)