[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Rainbow magazines wanted for scanning

stinger30au stinger30au at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 17 16:36:13 EDT 2009

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "jasonb1963" <jasonb1963 at ...> wrote:

> Dez,
>
> It's great that the magazines are available in so many different formats.  Rapidshare is great for downloading current stuff, but don't they remove stuff from their servers if it isn't downloaded regularly (like at least once every 30 days)?
>
> 100DPI PDFs should be approximately 9 times smaller than 300DPI PDFs (although practically probably slightly less because the compression will likely be more efficient at the higher resolutions).  This should be sufficient for viewing on the screen (except perhaps for very small text).
>
> One thing I don't know if you're aware of is that the DJVU format holds the images at 300DPI and still manages to compress them much more than equivalent resolution PDF documents due to the more advanced compression used.  This makes it great for document archival purposes.  Why don't I convert one of your 300DPI scans into DJVU format and upload it to excalibur?  I suspect that it will look better than a 100DPI PDF and be smaller still, but the proof is in the pudding.
>
> --
> Jason

Jason,
its cool. i can convert pdf to djvu here. went looking last night and posted how to do this to the list

i have not converted one of my 500 meg plus documents yet but i played with one of my aussie coco scans last night.

i will still have to scan & save in pdf format so i can join all

the little bits together with pdftk in to a complete document

you may want to do this little exercise for other people benefits but if you live in windows land you can do it yourself here

http://www.trustfm.net/GeneralTools/SoftwarePdfToDjvuGUI.php?b2=1