[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: pdf to djvu conversion solved

Wesley Haynes wlhaynes at mindspring.com
Mon May 18 09:25:53 EDT 2009

jasonb1963 wrote:
> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "stinger30au" <stinger30au at ...> wrote:
>>
>> so if anyone wants to go nuts converting pdf files to djvu files please do so, but do it at 400 dpi not 300.
>>
>> dez
>>

> Strange.  I used PdfToDjvuGUIwin32 to do the conversion with all the default settings and I thought the DJVU document at 300DPI was comparable to the PDF document.  I wonder if it uses different settings from the command line version (did you use the Linux or the Windows version)?  In particular, I remember making sure it was set for 300DPI.  You might check out the file I uploaded to excalibur and see if it exhibits any of the blurring you noticed yourself.
>
> Jason

I downloaded the sample djvu from excalibur and did a high-zoom
comparison between it, the original pdf Dez scanned at 300 dpi, and the
downgrade I performed to 100 dpi pdf. I see the blurriness Dez is
talking about. In fact, I can tell no difference in overall clarity or
readability between the djvu and the 100 dpi pdf. That said, the djvu
does look nicer than the 100 dpi pdf, exhibiting none of the awful jpeg
noise which is prevalent in my conversions.

I'm going to try Dez's script and see what kind of result I get. If it
looks a lot better while still giving a substantial file size reduction,
I will gladly abandon my 100 dpi pdfs in favor of djvu.

I'll be working on 1984, so if anyone else is working on converting to
djvu, please do other years to avoid double work.

Wes