[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: converting pdf to djvu

jasonb1963 jasonb1963 at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 12:33:34 EDT 2009

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "stinger30au" <stinger30au at ...> wrote:

> i have dome some tests tonight when i have been saving my scans to hdd
>

> yes i agree there is an incredible size difference between pdf and djvu
>

> im going to do some investigation in to how i can convert files from pdf to djvu
>
> but for the time being i will stick to pdf as i use pdftk as my slicer/dicer/boxer/sorter for putting all my scans together
>
> i scan about 10 or 20 pages and save my work and keep going till the magazine is finished. at the end i join the lot with pdftk.
>
> im yet to find a program like pdftk for djvu files.they maybe one. i just have not had time to go hunting. busy scanning more magazines

I uploaded a sample DJVU of one of your scans to excalibur earlier today.  I couldn't tell any difference between it and the PDF, despite the fact that it was 5.3x smaller (39.7 vs. 211MB).

I'm sure there are a lot more utility programs for handling PDF files than DJVU files.  Why don't you continue to use pdftk for your slicer/dicer/boxer/sorter needs and then use PdftoDjvuGUI to convert the resulting PDF files to DJVU format?  You can use lossless compression in the PDF files to minimize any compression defects which might potentially show up in the DJVU files if you looked really closely.

Once you've got the files in DJVU format, there are very nice viewing programs for viewing them on your screen (and even printing them if you want to).  If you have OCRed the magazines, most of the DJVU viewers can also do text searches as well (just like Acrobat).

--
Jason