[Coco] Mini Host app

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Wed May 13 07:47:55 EDT 2009

Thanks for pointing at Telix... I just tested it in my office WinXP and ran
just fine, does go beyond COM4. Now I just need to test it at home later on.
It's mini host seems more robust than the one the DOS version of ProComm
Plus came with, it's scripted so it is easy to go in under the hood and do
some custom stuff in there if so inclined.

As a side note, ProComm Plus ended up being bought by Symantec, and not too
long ago it was dropped from their product list. From what I read on
Symantec's site, there were some unresolved XP compatibility issues left
as-is. not much in there about features and capabilities of the software in
regards of a host mode.

Back in the 80s, we had an MSDOS computer at work with which we could access
CompuServe and other networks - started off with a 2400 modem and in the
decade's later years a screaming fast Hayes 9600 showed up - I would stay up
late doing 'homework' while browsing the CoCo libraries at the CoCo SIG,
download whatever came my way and then leave the office setting ProComm plus
into its MiniHost mode; got home, fired up the CoCo and then called the
office (local call, no LD nor international dialing as I was living in
México then). Very cost effective for my student finances :-)

-=[ Rogelio ]=-