[Coco] B&B HD Setup

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Tue May 5 00:13:18 EDT 2009

It amazes me how slow "fast" systems are at formatting hard disks.  Back in the Day (the early 80s), it took a PC/XT (supposedly using a 16-bit CPU) about 45 minutes to high-level format a 10-Meg drive, and it took a TRS-80 Model 4 (which never claimed more than 8-bit) about 15 minutes to high-level format a 15-Meg drive.  (Let's not talk about low-level formatting, that's overnight anywhere).  We could talk about how much better LS-DOS is than MS-DOS, but that would be off-topic.  (LS-DOS is still my favorite single-user OS -- it has a number of features in common with OS-9 and a few that might improve NITROS-9).
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd at comcast.net

<home.comcast.net/~wdg3rd>