[Coco] B&B HD Setup

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Mon May 4 11:50:36 EDT 2009

Could it be that the 20+ year old hard drive just does not work any more?

You have so many modern chooses for large and fast storage on a CoCo.
There is the well tested Super IDE with both IDE hard drive and flash
options. As for free options there are DriveWire 3 and soon to be
released CoCoNet that both give you even faster storage.  (Yes, a PC is
needed to used these programs but we can tell that you already have one
since you are reading this message. Be it Windows, Linux or MAC OS-10)

In this day and age, 42 Megabytes is not a lot of storage,  even for a
CoCo.  Even the small flash card that Cloud-9 sells for the Super IDE is
over 10 times the size of that drive.  Around my office, I got about
6,500,000 Megabytes of local storage in the form of computers hard
drives, NAS and backup units.  I just got another 1,000,000 Megabyte
(1TB) hard drive over the weekend to expand one of my systems. (I was at
Fry's and they had it on sell for only $97 and $2 less than the 1/2 TB
that I was going to get.)  Storage is cheap!

For me, I can't see why you are trying to get that old hardware working
since there are so many new products for your beloved CoCo that work so
much better. (We know that you are NOT trying to get data off this old
hard drive since you are trying to format it.)

Just something to think about,
Steve Bjork

P.S.  Later today, I'll be posting a message on my view of our CoCo in
this modern age of computers. So, if you are filling the need to take
shots at this post, please wait for the real target.