[Coco] I think I hit a nerve with my CoCoList Survey on email.

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Mon May 4 21:18:20 EDT 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 01 May 2009, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
>>Tim Fadden wrote:
>>> Another option with a mail account at least for me is a web interface
>>> for my email account.  I can go there first and delete the emails I
>>> don't want to download.
>>>  Although I have no problem with a 20mb down,  5mb up link.  I like the
>>> forum, which I check at least every other day, along with the list.  I
>>> have had better help/interaction on the forum than the list I must say
>>> though.
>>
>>Except unless you're using something like Gmail, you then STILL have to
>>download them, uncompressed, with even more HTML stuff added to make it
>> purty for the Web users.
>>
> Since when is gmail all html?  That is the senders choice, not gmail's.  I use
> my gmail addy for several mailing lists, mainly because vz thought they were
> spam because they were linux based lists, not winderz.

I said _unless_ you're using Gmail. Also, Web-mail interfaces wrap ALL email,
regardless of format, up in a HTML wrapper. That is, after all, the whole
point. Further, those (including even Gmail itself) who format the stuff as
"conversations" blow away any potential efficiency benefit over POP3, as
whenever you want to read an email you have to download not only the one you
want to read, but also all the other messages in that thread.

I, too, use Gmail for a few addresses. 'Cept I use Thunderbird IMAP directly
on the Google servers, leaving my local mailboxes to handle local messages and
the stuff fetchmail pulls from my spam source^W^WISP.