[Coco] Looking for non working coco case.

Steve Bjork 6809er at bjork-huffman.net
Mon May 4 20:59:40 EDT 2009

If you knew more about PC hardware then you would not be so confused by
Ben's message.  For a while there has been a number of complete PC
boards smaller than CoCo 2 board.
I've even seen a PC put inside a model of the Millennium Falcon from
Star Wars and the first Nintendo Game system case. These cases had much
less room than a CoCo.

Small PC called Net-Tops are the big item right now in the computer
market.  (Along with Net-Books)  I just installed a MSI  Net-Top 100
with an Intel Atom 330 and 945GC graphic chip set for one of my
clients.  It's less than 12" by 9" by 3" with a 3.5" hard drive and DVD
drive and was hidden in a desk drawer.  While not small enough to fit in
a CoCo case it does show the direction of one of the PC markets.

Last January at the CES, Nvidia demonstrated their new Ion platform base
on the Intel Atom 330 and Geforce 9400M graphics chip set.  Not only
does this platform have more power that the MIS Net-Top 100, (it can
drive a home theater) it's only 6" by 5" by 1.2" with hard drive and all
interfaces.  (Both DVI and VGA out, Audio and 4 USB ports.)  By the way,
the new Mac Mini is based on the Ion system.

Both Ion and the CoCo 4 I/O board will fit inside a CoCo 3 case. With
the optional I/O board you can plug your CoCo joysticks, cassette,
serial port hardware right into the CoCo 3 case and use that stuff with
the CoCo 4 emulator.  But the best trick is the 40 pin cartridge port!
Plug in your Floppy Disk Controller, Speech Sound Pak, Multi_Pak, Game
Pak and more and use them just like a real CoCo.  Even the Power and
Reset buttons along with the Keyboard work just like a real CoCo.  (Fun
Note: Turn off the power in the RF output mode will give you white noise
(static) on both the screen and audio out just like a real CoCo hooked
up to a T.V.)

It's true that a DVD drive will not fit in case with all that other
hardware.  But, the Coco's floppy drives were external units too.

As you now see, what Ben is doing it real and no need for confusion.

Steve Bjork