[Coco] NitrOS-9 sc6551 driver

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Mar 31 22:57:21 EDT 2009

At 09:35 PM 3/31/2009, you wrote:
Roger,

>It sounds like you're clipping along with DriveWire 3.  That's great.

I was having a talk with Gault about getting NitrOS-9 running another
way since my floppy controller is obviously being poked around with
by All known copies of OS-9.  Address 65345 is the ROM socket
selector (0-3).  The 4th socket is being switched in somewhere during
the kernel code, I suspect.  Crashola.  Deskmate, OS-9 Level One,
Two, NitrOS-9.  Strangest thing I've seen.

I went to your site and grabbed HDB-DOS for DriveWire 3 (long name,
btw) because I was having trouble copying double-sided OS-9 disks
over to the CoCo using CoCoNet/bitbanger.  Anyway, to make a long
story short, I quickly discovered that you had it rigged so we can
boot into a NitrOS-9 virtual disk that's on the PC, using the HDB-DOS
ROM.  I couldn't complain when I saw the 80 column screen appear
within seconds.  There's your plug.

>If you're loading the driver and descriptors, you're making
>inefficient use of memory.

I know that the rest of the block space is wasted this way, but sheesh.

>   I recommend going to NITROS9/6809L2/ BOOTLISTS and editing the
> dw3.bl file there to include sc6551 and t2,
>then cd ../SCRIPTS and run the mb.dw3 to create a new boot disk in
>drive /x1.
>
>In the bootlist file you may also remove PipeMan, Piper and Pipe since
>those are not needed for what you are doing.
>
>Please note that DCD will need to be tied to ground for the bi-
>directional flow of data to work.  The sc6551 driver is written to
>expect DCD.

My wireless pak already holds that and several other lines low, so no problem.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com