[Coco] CoCoNet wireless milestone

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Mar 30 19:17:04 EDT 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:54 AM, Roger Taylor wrote:
> SAVER stands for Save Remote File (to a virtual disk).  I guess it
> should be called LOADR for Load Remote File, but there's no actual
> (from a web server, to a CoCo disk) so I enhanced the SAVE command
> to support it.  If a handful of people can agree on a better way of
> doing this action then I'll be glad to change the command format for
> this particular function.

So it's actually a COPY operation? Copy from remote location (as if it
was a device) to a disk?

> To best describe what SAVER currently does, it grabs a web page or
> file (binary supported), and quickly saves it to a mounted virtual
> disk.  Now every DOS command can access the local copy of the web
> file as usual.

Interesting. I haven't followed this at all so I'm out of the loop. I
was thinking it was a way to load something from a website -- like
instead of doing:

RUN"PROGRAM.BAS:2"

To run a program from floppy drive 2, you could run it from a disk
image on the net.

The syntax just confused me -- unless I am confused, and it isn't
actually a COPY operation?

> DRIVE #,"pc path" lets you read or write to the remote PC .dsk image
> as usual.  DRIVE #,"web URL" grabs a temporary copy of the

That makes sense -- map in this virtual (remote) disk image as a drive
number for the CoCo.

> .dsk image and if you write to it, you're just writing to a temp
> copy, which lets programs run as usual but if you want to retain the
> disk you just BACKUP # to some_other_drive (physical or PC virtual
> disk).

Do if I wanted to clone an image on the web to my local (physical
drive 0), I would do:

DRIVE 2,"http://cocofiles.com/games.dsk"
BACKUP 2 TO 0

Yes?

I think the "map something virtual -- disk image on PC or disk image
on internet -- to a drive number" makes perfect sense. I'm just a bit
confused over the use of SAVE/LOAD.

Why is that needed? Could you just map the drive to a number, then use
normal LOAD, RUN, SAVE, SAVEM, LOADM, COPY, DEL, etc. to that drive
after it's mapped in?

> There's still GET and PUT that can be reused as part of a Disk
> command, such as DRIVE GET, DRIVE PUT, or DRIVE LOAD, DRIVE SAVE,
> etc.  or even... SAVE DRIVE #   The first command needs to be an
> existing DOS command I can detour from and any tokens from BASIC,
> ECB, or DECB can be checked for after that, making it possible to
> chain commands together.

What will that buy us as users? Is there anything really needed beyond
virtually inserting a disk (image)? The usage of a drive number --
whether it be a physical CoCo disk in the floppy drive, or a disk
image networked on a PC, or a disk image (read only, would give ?WP
ERROR if you wrote to it) via internet -- seems enough to satisfy all
needs?

> I think that DRIVE #, ON or DRIVE # ON should switch to a physical
> drive, but it appears that some other system out there does it the
> opposite from that.

RGB-DOS, being the 80's kind of DISK BASIC drive extensions -- would
be the good model to follow. If it drifted from standard specs, it
would be good to follow the same drive. I seem to recall it only
allowed turning on/off physical drives, and everything else was just a
number :0-255 to existing standard commands. So you would simply be
adding the ability to assign a remote disk image or URL to a drive
number.
--
18th Annual “LAST” Chicago CoCoFEST! - March 28 & 29, 2009 - Elgin, IL
- http://glensideccc.com/

Over 98,000 digital pics from Disney, Theme Parks, and Ren Fests!
Visit http://www.AtTheFaire.com or http://www.DisneyFans.com

Orlando (and other places) cheap luxury vacation offers - and I get
credit!
http://www.WestgateResorts.com/or/index.cfm?acct=9009895609&sales=8664429956&language=en