[Coco] Fest Day 1...

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 09:27:34 EDT 2009

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Allen Huffman wrote:

> Some of the mystery "networking" cards I have with the CoCo 3 prototype were
> apparently identified ... and not by someone at the Fest! Details soon (or he
> can reply to this list with the information).

Sure, my pleasure.

Allen has pictures on his Blog of what appear to be Corvus Omninet
interface cards; two for the CoCo and one for a TRS-80 III.

Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvus_Systems

for a bit of background.  That article has a number of small factual
errors (never saw a Concept monitor with a mercury tip-switch, for
example) but should provide the gist of it.

I've been fascinated with their products for reasons only a vintage
computer buff could appreciate:  It's the best way to showcase machines
from that era.  How else could I have an Apple 2, Apple 3, Atari 800, IBM
PC and a TRS-80 Mod I all working from the same hard drive?

Over the years I've accumulated a fair-to-middlin' collection of their
hardware and software, including the oddball "Bank" tape drive which used
continuous cartridges that worked like 8-track audio tapes - complete with
head-stepping to change tracks - and a complete, working Concept system
(see article) with prototype 512K memory expansion.  Doesn't seem too
special until you consider that 48K was considered a whopping amount of
memory in 1981.

On a technical level, Omninet was an early implementation of CSMA/CD
protocol, where each interface on the bus is able to sense when someone
else is "talking" and backoff for random periods of time before attempting
re-transmission.  This was the same approach used by AT&T StarLAN and the
original 10-Base2 ethernet.

There are a small number of Corvus buffs in the wild, and a lot of tech
documentation and software has been duplicated and posted around the net.

Until tripping over Allen's photos, I was completely unaware that an
interface for CoCo ever existed.  The ones I do know are are (* = I have
it in my collection):

DEC LSI-11
DEC VT-180 (CP/M)
Xerox 820 (CP/M) *
IBM PC & XT (DOS) *
Apple II (DOS 3.3, ProDOS, GS/OS, Pascal, CP/M) *
Apple /// (SOS) *
Atari 800 *
Macintosh
TRS-80 Model I *